2020 CARBOY Club Shamrock XXV Open
Saturday February 29, 2020
Registration will open for Entries on Monday January 27, 2020
and remain open until Saturday February 15, 2020 at 1700 ET.
Sanctioned Competition Program (SCP) Registered
|2019 Shamrock Information Page||2015 BJCP Beer Style Guidelines (PDF)|
All attendees must be 21 years of age or older (No exceptions)
Please Patronize our Sponsors at the bottom of the page
Our fearless Competition leaders (left click on their name to send an email)
Competition Organizer – Steve Winter
Judge Director – Gary Morgan
Cellarmaster – James Hopson
Steward Director – Keith Eisel
Registrar – Steve Winter
Raffle Director – Todd Wenzel
- Entries will be accepted in all beer categories listed for the BJCP Style Guidelines (Categories 1-34).
- Entries for Meads and Ciders will not be accepted.
- The 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect for this competition … View the BJCP Style Guidelines
- A limit of 350 entries is being considered for this year to ensure that the available Judge Pool is available. When 350 paid entries is reached, the Judge response will be evaluated and a decision made whether to close Registration early.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. The Registration Page allows up to 10 entries. If a Brewer has more entries, contact the Registrar.
- Only one entry per subcategory allowed. (You can have one entry in 21A and one in 21B but you can’t have two in 21A or two in 21B).
- Each Entry will consist of two (2) bottles, each with a completed bottle ID form attached by a rubber band, the completed on-line entry form and PayPal payment.
- Entry Fee – $7 per entry … Paid via PayPal from the Registration Page with the Entry detail.
- A change in the platform of the registration program may make entry modifications difficult. Please wait to register your Entries until you are satisfied with the Category / Style.
- Each bottle with have a completed Shamrock Competition Bottle ID form, attached with a rubber band
- Entries must be received/dropped off at one of the locations listed below by 5PM ET on Saturday February 15th. No exceptions. Anything dropped off after 5PM ET on Saturday February 15th will not be eligible for judging. There will be no further pick-ups from Drop-Offs prior to the competition.
- There will not be a pickup at the February CARBOY meeting on February 26th
- There will be no formal out-of-town pickup this year. SHA Homebrew clubs (some clubs formally part of CBOY) may be coordinating collection and delivery. Check with your local club and have them contact the Shamrock Cellarmaster to streamline delivery.
- No entries will be accepted on the day of the competition.
- No-shows will not receive a refund.
Drop Off Locations
Mark all packages on the shipping label with “c/o Shamrock Open XXV”
Atlantic Brew Supply
3709 Neil Street Raleigh, NC 27607
3021-5 Stoneybrook Dr. Raleigh, NC 27604
Bull City Homebrew
5410 NC HIGHWAY 55 STE AF, Durham, NC 27713
**The Home brewer is transferring custody and liability of their Entry to the Homebrew Shop and subsequently to the Shamrock Competition, who will collect, transfer, store and deliver their homebrew to the competition.**
- Each bottle must be plain brown or green glass, 10 to 16 ounces in volume, crown capped and labeled as described below. Use of brown, long-neck, 12oz bottles is encouraged but not required.
- Bottles and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that could identify a Brewer to a Judge. This may include raised lettering, labels, unique bottle shapes or the like. Bottle caps will have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out.
- No swing-top bottles.
- Reusable containers, including “Carbonator” type devices CAN NOT be returned.
- Bottles not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified, and ineligible for award. At the discretion of the Organizer, disqualified bottles may be evaluated and scoresheets provided to the Brewer.
Bottle Labels – Each bottle will require a ‘Shamrock Open Bottle Label‘ open the form in Adobe to activate the editable fields… Attach the form to the bottle with a rubber band.
- Register to Judge or Steward on the Registration Page.
- Every effort will be made to have all entries judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).
- Judging will take place on Saturday, March 2nd at North Hills Club, commencing at 9 am.
- North Hills Club 4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh NC 27609 www.northhillsclub.com
- Apprentice judges are welcome and will be paired with experienced judges.
- Judges and stewards will be our guests for lunch.
- Judge and steward experience points will be reported to the BJCP.
- Judges and stewards are expected to arrive and be ready no later than 8:30 am.
- Some categories may be condensed with categories of similar style for determining 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, at the organizers’ discretion.
- Conversely, categories in which a large number of entries are received in each of several sub-categories may be expanded to determine ribbon winners and Best of Show entries.
- Bagels, coffee and juice will be served for breakfast. Sandwiches, chips, salads, beer, and soft drinks will be available for lunch.
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a ribbon.
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd place Best of Show beers will receive a Best of Show ribbon.
2019 Competition Sponsors