News:

NOTE - If you are a new CARBOY member, please feel free to sign-up. Approval is needed so then email forumadmin@carboyclub.com to share your receipt from PayPal for membership dues. That will help us get you approved so you can access the forum.

Main Menu

Brewers of Yore Reference

Started by DBuns, September 30, 2010, 04:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBuns

If you've been around the club for awhile, you undoubtedly have been asked about our name Cary/Apex/Raleigh Brewers of Yore and where did brewers of yore come from....well, I found my one and only reference to that term today by accident: (excerpt from article)

Sometimes after a long sip of a particularly good craft beer, I time travel in my mind. As a lover of both beer and wildlife, I imagine what it would it have been like to visit America in the early 1800s.

Imagine standing at the gates of the Missouri, as Lewis and Clark did, and see those plains stretching forever east turned black with bison. What must it have been like to travel up river valleys to towns populated by German, French, Irish, English, Danish, Scottish, and Swiss settlers, all of them crafting beer with a mix of old world knowledge and new world grains? What a sight that America must have been.

Of course, those little breweries of yore met the same fate as the poor bison. Where once some 60 million bison roamed North America, by the turn of the 20th century there were just 23 solitary wild buffalo left, all in Yellowstone Park's Pelican Valley.....

Kind of make me feel like we're standing up for the little homebrew guy of the old MidWest!!   :D

Gary Morgan

Wow Dave. What was in that beer you were drinking :-)

billdubas

I've always thought that the "brewers of yore" part was pretty lame.   :roll:

Then again, all of the homebrew clubs that I've been in have had pretty lame names:  Cowtown Cappers. . . . . North Texas Homebrewers Association . . . . Triangle Unabashed Brewers   :roll:

kevint

Quote from: "billdubas"I've always thought that the "brewers of yore" part was pretty lame.   :roll:
That would just make it CAR - that wouldn't make sense :-)

Kevin

billdubas

Quote from: "kevint"
Quote from: "billdubas"I've always thought that the "brewers of yore" part was pretty lame.   :roll:
That would just make it CAR - that wouldn't make sense :-)

Kevin

Yeah. .  . .there aren't very many nouns that begin with "Y".  I can understand why "yore" it was chosen.

Brewers of yeast?
Brewers on yaks
Brewers over yogurt
Brewers!  Obese?  Yes!

brad_vincent

LOL, or just make it CARB

Cary Apex and Raleigh Brewers.  Like force carbing up your beer.

kevint

Quote from: "brad_vincent"LOL, or just make it CARB

Cary Apex and Raleigh Brewers.  Like force carbing up your beer.
We could still keep the OY and change it to Over Yonder for those of us in Wake Forest ;-)

Kevin

DBuns

Over Yonder...nice...don't know if we have any charter members still active in the club?  I'm sure they had a good time coming up with the name.