News:

NOTE - If you are a new CARBOY member, please feel free to sign-up. Approval is needed so then email forumadmin@carboyclub.com to share your receipt from PayPal for membership dues. That will help us get you approved so you can access the forum.

Main Menu

Reflecting on 2008

Started by Walt S, December 28, 2008, 01:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt S

2008 was another good year for CARBOY.  Good club growth and active members, but most important...........GOOD BREWS.

This year we have seen some increases in our club membership and even more significant, it appears that some more "heavy lifters" have stepped up into leadership roles and are taking on some of the central responsibilities in future projects.  Thanks to all that have served over the past year and to those who have volunteered to take an active part in 2009.  

2008 has also seen the number of BJCP judges in the club increase.  A special vote of thanks goes to Mike Dixon for leading up that cause.  

In addition to the annual events such as the Shamrock Open, Oktoberfest, Mead Day and the Holiday Party, CARBOY also played a leadership role in judging the first round of the National Homebrew Competition and participated in Club Night at the NHC in Cincinnati, OH.  These two events were challenging due to logistics and the cooperation that was required with other distant homebrew clubs.  Thanks to all who helped pull these events off.  A special tip of the hat goes to our brothers and sisters in the Carolina (and a few from neighboring states) brewing community for their assistance.  We truly could not have pulled this off without them.      

If I'm not mistaken, I believe 2008 also saw quite a few brew-in and big brews.  I believe hosting sessions like these are great preparation for the BJCP exam.  Especially if you have people who are new to All Grain brewing in attendance.  They ask questions that make us think about our brewing processes and why we do them.  It reinforces my belief in the "See One, Do One, Teach One" method of education.  We salute all who hosted these events and those who did some one-on-one mentoring as well.    

Due to the excellent stewardship of our treasurer and financial directors, it appears our treasury is sound.  Thanks to the treasurer for keeping us informed and being as frugal with the club's money as you would be with your own.  A special note of gratitude goes out to founding CARBOY member Bill Mackenzie.  Bill graciously donated many hundreds of dollars worth of brewing gear to the club that has been auctioned off and help swell the club's coffers.  Details can be found in the financial pages of the CARBOY Forum.

Speaking of the CARBOY Forum, at the time of this writing, we had 81 registered users and about 8000 postings.  Raise your glasses to the moderators and all the contributors to the Forum.  What a great way to communicate.  

A new activity that has surfaced in 2008 is the Pint Night.  I can't wait to make my first one.  Keep your eyes on the Forum for the next pint night near you.  I hear they are great.  

Whenever you do a recap of events over time, you run the risk of leaving something or someone out.  Please feel free to chime in on the Forum and add your 2 cents.  I know I won't be offended.

Cheers and here's to an even better 2009,

Walt S., Da Prez.
Walt Sweeney

DBuns

Thanks, Walt!  You're right it was a very good year for the club.  Really appreciate your leadership and the new leaders who are emerging!  Thanks to Kevin for his getting of the key on so many occasions.

Cheers to CARBOY!

Walt S

Quote from: "DBuns"Thanks to Kevin for his getting of the key on so many occasions.

I'll second that.  When I was first elected Da Prez about 2 1/2 years ago, I didn't actually know that the position was really titled President and Key Master.  My new work schedule does not always permit me to be at the meetings or get the key early.  Thanks Kevin and thanks to the others that have been able to fill in.

Walt S.
Walt Sweeney