News:

NOTE - If you are a new CARBOY member, please feel free to sign-up. Approval is needed so then email forumadmin@carboyclub.com to share your receipt from PayPal for membership dues. That will help us get you approved so you can access the forum.

Main Menu

Dubas gets a shout out in Zymurgy July/Aug Issue

Started by MDixon, June 26, 2008, 07:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDixon

Was taking 5 min to read Zymurgy and noticed Bill got a shout out from Steve Holle in the For Geeks Only section on Yeast Pitching Rates, Carbonation. Party on Bill!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

billdubas

Really?  I hadn't read that article.  What does he say?  Steve and I were members of the North Texas Homebrewers Association when he lived in Dallas.  Me and 2 other guys in the club helped him write is book on brewing calculations (the same one he uses for all the articles in the Geeks section of Zymurgy) by being his first line of technical "editors".

MDixon

billdubas

Cool.  I'll have to thank him.  I haven't talked to him since he moved away from Dallas.  That was probably 3 or 4 years ago.

MDixon

Here's what's ironic...Steve gave the talk at the AHA NHC on "An Overview of German Brewing Techniques and How to Relate Them to
Homebrewing" and while his slides were technically correct, he had a misstatement about mash thickness, the slide was right, his "calculation" based on the slide was wrong, of course he was going off the top of his head. I'm not sure if anyone caught it by Rob, Seamane and myself, but the irony was not lost...  :wink:

Note: the topic was mash thickness at German breweries, which are measured on a wt/wt basis instead of vol/wt as we do it. He said the Germans use 3:1 to 6:1, IIRC, and that our mashes were incredibly thick. 3:1 wt/wt = 1.43 qts/lb which ain't so thick, of course 6:1 = 2.87 qts/lb which is kinda thin...

billdubas

More irony . . . . .

Even though I helped edit all chapters of his first draft of the book, and he's used the book to do other Geeks articles, he called me out for the article on yeast pitching rate.

In my 14 years of brewing I have never concerned myself with pitching rates.   :oops:   I revive the yeast in a 500 ml "starter" and pitch that.

Now that I have a stir plate and a 2 liter flask I can change that though. . . .