2021 CARBOY Shamrock Open XXVI
Results Posted no later than
Saturday April 17, 2021
Any questions or concerns, contact the Registrar
BJCP Sanctioned Competition Program (SCP) Registered #208301
*** This year’s Shamrock is being conducted to comply with state guidelines, mandates and policies. Please see changes in the notes below, some of the standard practices have changed. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if there is a question or a concern you are not the only person that has it. ***
All participants must be 21 years of age or older (No exceptions)
Please Patronize our Sponsors at the bottom of the page
Our fearless Competition leaders (left click on their name to send an email)
Competition Organizer – Steve Winter
Judge Director – Dave Buning
Cellarmaster – James Hopson
Steward Director – Keith Eisel
Registrar – Steve Winter
- The 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines will be in effect and used to evaluate Entries for this competition
- Entries will be accepted in all beer categories listed for the BJCP Style Guidelines (Categories 1-34).
- Flights and subsequent awards will be organized by:
Appendix A: Alternate Categorizations – #3. Styles Sorted Using Style Family
- Base BJCP 2015 – 34 Categories
- Entries for Meads and Ciders will not be accepted.
- A limit of 300 entries is being considered for this year to ensure that the logistical challenges can be met without any detriment to the Entry evaluation and the feedback to all Brewers. * 230 Entries Submitted
- Individual Brewers are limited to 12 Entries. This complies with the Southeastern Homebrewers Association SHA By-Laws for competitions.
- Only one entry per subcategory allowed (example: You can have one entry in 21A and one in 21B but you can’t have two in 21A or two in 21B).
- Each Entry will consist of:
- Completed on-line entry form
- Entry fee submitted via PayPal
- Three (3) Containers … bottles or cans (don’t mix container type for an Entry)
- Completed Shamrock Competition Container ID form attached to each container by rubber bands.
- Entry Fee – $7 per entry … Paid via PayPal from the Registration Page with the Entry detail
- Please wait to register your Entries until you are satisfied with your selection of the BJCP 2015 Category / Style for your Beer.
- Entries must be received/dropped off at one of the Drop-Off locations listed below by 5PM ET on Saturday March 20th. No exceptions. Anything dropped off after 5PM ET on Saturday March 20th will not be eligible for judging. There will be no further pick-ups from Drop-Offs prior to the competition.
- There will be no formal out-of-town pickup this year. SHA Homebrew clubs may be coordinating collection and delivery. Check with your local club and have them contact the Shamrock Cellarmaster to streamline delivery.
- No entries will be accepted on the day of the competition.
- No-shows will not receive a refund.
Drop Off / Ship To Locations
The following Homebrew Shops have once again graciously opened their doors in supporting the collection of Beers. Shipments to and six-pack holders dropped off with Entries, will have a shipping label stating “c/o Shamrock Open XXVI”. Recommend that a review of the Brew Shop website is done prior to making a trip to drop off entries for any recent changes.
Atlantic Brew Supply
3709 Neil Street Raleigh, NC 27607
Store Hours Tuesday – Saturday 10AM – 6PM
3021-5 Stoneybrook Dr. Raleigh, NC 27604
Store Hours Monday – Saturday 10AM – 6PM; Sunday 12-5
Bull City Homebrew
5410 NC HIGHWAY 55 STE AF, Durham, NC 27713
Store Hours Tuesday – Saturday 11AM – 7PM; Sunday 10-6
**The Home Brewer is transferring custody and liability of their Entry to the Homebrew Shop and subsequently to the Shamrock Competition, who will collect, transfer, store and deliver the Homebrew Entries to the competition.**
- Bottles must be plain brown or green glass, 10 to 16 ounces in volume, crown capped. Use of brown, long-neck, 12oz bottles is encouraged but not required.
- Cans must be plain aluminum, 12 to 16 ounces in volume, no extraneous markings.
- All entries will be free of markings or unique identification, and will be labeled as described below.
- Bottles, cans and caps must be free of anything which is sufficiently unique that could identify a Brewer to a Judge. This may include raised lettering, labels, unique bottle shapes or the like. Bottle caps will have any distinguishing marks completely blacked out.
- No swing-top bottles.
- Reusable containers, including “Carbonator” type devices CAN NOT be returned.
- Bottles/Cans not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified and ineligible for award. At the discretion of the Organizer, disqualified bottles/cans may be evaluated and scoresheets provided to the Brewer.
Container Labels – Each bottle/can will require a ‘Shamrock Open Container Label‘ attached to the container with rubber bands.
- Judging will take place over the course of 10 days in a decentralized fashion. The Judges will be recruited by the Head Judge. The Judge Pool requirement will be smaller this year to facilitate the required changes in Beer Entry Management.
- Requirements for Stewards will be minimal.
- Register to Judge or Steward on the Registration Page. You will be contacted to let you know whether your expertise will be required or not. This also allows an update in preparation for next year.
- Every effort will be made to have all entries judged by qualified participants in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).
- Category / Style Judging will take place between March 27th and April 9th.
- Flights will conducted and completed at single sittings.
- Best of Show will take place at a single sitting the week of April 11th.
- Judge and steward experience points will be reported to the BJCP.
- Some categories may be condensed with categories of similar style for determining 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, at the Organizers’ discretion.
- Conversely, categories in which a large number of entries are received in each of several sub-categories may be expanded to determine ribbon winners and Best of Show entries
Results and Awards
- Results will be published no later than Saturday April 17th, and sooner if at all possible.
- Scoresheets will be available on the Registration page when the Competition Results are published.
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd place beers in each category will receive a Shamrock Open XXVI Ribbon.
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd place Best of Show beers will receive a Shamrock Open XXVI Best of Show Ribbon and Award.
- Ribbons and Awards will be mailed as soon as possible following the conclusion of the completion.
2020 Shamrock XXV Results
2020 Competition Sponsors