News:

NOTE - If you are a new CARBOY member, please feel free to sign-up. Approval is needed so then email forumadmin@carboyclub.com to share your receipt from PayPal for membership dues. That will help us get you approved so you can access the forum.

Main Menu

Leaving For Blacksburg, VA

Started by fbgillam, April 09, 2013, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbgillam

I think this is the place for it. I also believe we have various moderators to fix it if not:

This August, I am moving to Blacksburg VA to attend VA Tech. I will be a PhD candidate in biological systems engineering. It will take 3 - 5 years. I obviously cannot say for sure what will happen afterward, but I'd put my money on ending up right back here in the triangle. I got accepted because of my job more than anything else, which means I'll be doing a lot related to my job. There are several hubs for the kind of biotech work I do: Here, New Jersey, Boston, San Diego, and Berkeley. I can't afford any of the other ones. So odds are I'll be back soon.

I thought I'd put this up more as an FAQ. You may not really care!
-Frank

GJ40

Congrats Frank!  We'll certainly miss you and your beers.

DBuns

Thanks for the post, Frank....I really do hope we have some kind of chance to give you a proper send off.  Maybe at the 2nds and 3rds tasting in May?  You going to be there?

But, Congratulations to you!  Sounds like a great opportunity!  I like the idea that you are hoping to end up back here...so, keep in touch!  Plan on coming to judge or steward in the 2014 Shamrock Open!!

Cheers!!
Dave

kevint

Good luck on the move.   We'll need to have a proper send off for you.  Maybe a big brew... will let you decide what we do to F it up ;-)

Kevin

gsteiger

Congrats Frank. You will be missed, especailly at Shamrock.  You have done an outstanding job as the head steward.  Once you get to Blacksburg, send me your number, I get up that way for business every month or so.  By the way, just what is a Hokie?
Never trust a skinny brewer.

ceaker

Grats Frank.  You'll be missed (but only for a few years, right?)

MDixon

Dr. G!

Remember the best thing to get out of graduate school is yourself! ;)

I just spoke with someone from Roanoke last night who was a homebrewer.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/135246529301/?fref=ts

In Blacksburg I often go to Bull & Bones for the wings, the beer is often quite good. Lefty's has four taps and all are generally stellar.  The Vintage Cellar and Kroger are your beer stores and both are great. We used to go to The Cellar, but I truthfully cannot remember it having much variety.

If you find a great place once you get there and get settled, post about it. I'm always looking for someplace new.

I get to Blacksburgh about 1X per month Aug - May, but often have little notice on when I will arrive. Generally it is a Monday night.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Jarrad

Congrats and Best Wishes Frank!

mitch hayes

4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years! This sounds familiar.
Congratulations Frank, and remember you're never too old to start something new.
fvbeerking

doverholser

Good luck Frank.  Make sure to mark your calendar as soon as the CARBOY Shamrock date is set.

billdubas

Quote from: "DBuns"I really do hope we have some kind of chance to give you a proper send off.  Maybe at the 2nds and 3rds tasting in May?  You going to be there?

Huh?  There is a tasting in May?