The Carboy Club (“Club”) is a non-for-profit social club that provides paying Members with a wide range of educational and social benefits and services such as, but not limited to “Social activities focused on homebrewing as a common foundation. To learn more about beer, beer tasting, beer judging and brewing techniques, based on sharing knowledge and experience. To promote the hobby and enjoyment of homebrewing. To promote the responsible use of alcoholic beverages.” (from article 2 of the current CARBOY by-laws).
The Code of Conduct (“Code”) has been developed to ensure that the Club is a safe, friendly and respectful place for Members, visitors and the public that we interact with to gather in the spirit of cooperation, relaxation, good will, fun and friendly competition. This Code of Conduct differs from and is distinctly separate from the Club rules and by-laws in that it addresses acceptable/unacceptable behavior.
As Members each of us has as a responsibility to uphold the principles of:
- Behaving Responsibly. Use good judgment, being honest and ethical in every action you take.
- Ask for help. When an answer is not clear, ask for guidance before taking action.
- Stay alert. Pay close attention to any activity that is inconsistent with our Code, policies, or occupational health and safety laws..
- Report concerns. Do not ignore a violation. Report your concerns immediately to the Club President or Financial Director. If the concern involves the Club President or Financial Director, reports may be made to any other officer.
- Model the Code and our values. Promote a culture of integrity by making ethical decisions and showing honesty and integrity in your actions.
Policy Modifications and Waivers
We realize that the Code will not cover every possible circumstance, especially when issues arise outside the foreseeable norms. The Code is broadly stated and thus, the Club, via the Executive Committee, may modify the Code, as necessary. Any waivers of the Code, however, must be approved by the Executive Committee. In the extremely rare situation that a waiver is approved, we will quickly and properly disclose it where required by law.
Administering the Code
The Club President, and Vice Presidents are responsible for administering the Code in an independent, objective and consistent manner.
Code of Conduct Expectations
- The Club and facilities we use for events or meetings are free of any form of harassing behavior. Any physical, verbal or sexual harassment will not be tolerated.
- The Club is a family friendly environment. Obscenities, aggressive, inappropriate or offensive behavior shall not be tolerated.
- Discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status shall not be tolerated at the Club or any Club sponsored activity or event. These activities include, but are not limited to selection of members, volunteers and vendors, competitions, soliciting activities and provision of services. The Club, its Members and staff, are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.
- Members will not denigrate, talk down to, or speak inappropriately and/or rudely to members, guests and/or the general public when acting as a representative of the club.
Members shall treat other members, guests, the general public and patrons fairly, equally and with respect and courtesy.
- Members shall behave responsibly. All Members shall refrain from acting in a manner which may damage or jeopardize the reputation or name of the Club.
Members agree to update all contact information with Club staff and personnel. Should there be a change in household status or membership needs, Members are responsible for communicating such changes to the Club President.
- Members may not use their membership privileges to benefit other individuals or families, except in those specific events or situations that are advertised for non-members.
- Members are responsible for the behavior of all of their respective guests or non-member visitors.
- Members must ensure that guests understand Club policies and that they adhere to the Code during their attendance to any Club function.
Breaches of this Code of Conduct
- The consequences for breach of the Code are at the discretion of the Club President, Vice Presidents and the Executive Committee.
- Any behavior deemed to be a violation of the Code may result in Members and/or guests being immediately removed from an event or the facility.
- Any inappropriate behavior or the report of any incident shall be fully investigated by the Club President, Vice Presidents and (when deemed appropriate due to severity) the Executive Committee.
- At his/hers/its sole discretion, the Club President, Vice Presidents and/or Executive Committee may ask for evidence such as written or verbal statements from all involved parties.
- Upon completion of any investigation, the Executive Committee shall make a written recommendation of verbal warning, written reprimand, suspension or revocation of membership privileges. Any recommendation(s) made by the Executive Committee and subsequently voted on by the Executive Committee are final decisions without the right of appeal or further review.
As a Member of the Club, I have had an opportunity to read The Carboy Code of Conduct and agree to abide by the terms. By way of my signature hereto, I understand that the Code has been drafted to protect the integrity of and atmosphere at the Club for all Members, Guests and the Public. Refusal to sign this Code will result in loss of membership with no refund.